Sunday June 7, 2015
Noon to 5 pm
The Delta Bessborough is Saskatoon's landmark building, affectionately known as the Castle on the River. Designed by Archibald-Schofield of Montreal, with warm brick from Claybank in Southern Saskatchewan, this ten-story hotel is located in the heart of downtown Saskatoon.
The hotel was designed in the Chateau-style and built by the Canadian National Railway from 1928 to 1932. The Bessborough Hotel officially opened on December 10, 1935, with 1,000 people at the opening dance.
It was the last of the grand railway hotels built in Canada. Such a hotel is a kind of world on its own, with wonderful exterior and interior features. Original features include plaster relief art in the Battleford Ballroom and recovered chandelier medallions in the William Pascoe Foyer. The exterior boasts a copper roof along with Tyndall stone heraldic emblems, gargoyles and grotesques.
Each Prime Minister and Governor General to visit Saskatoon since 1935 have stayed at the Delta Bessborough Hotel.
Disabled Access Public Washrooms Restaurant Available Metered Parking
Described as "a source of pride to the entire city" during its construction in 1913, St. John's Cathedral has served as the cathedral of the Anglican Diocese of Saskatoon since 1932. The stunning gothic revival building features gargoyles, English terracotta detailing and the tallest steeple in western Canada, as well as more stained glass than any church in Saskatoon. The columbarium, constructed in the undercroft of the cathedral in the mid-1990s, has won two architectural heritage awards.
Disabled Access Public Washrooms Street Parking Free Parking Near bus route
This building at 244 1st Avenue North was built and occupied from 1929 until 1984 as a paint manufacturer and distributor business. Most of that period, it operated under G. F. Stephens a local business. By 1980, it was known as C.I.L Paints. After 1984, it was occupied by various businesses. In the 1990s, it was occupied by paramount Beauty Salon and Crawdaddys bar and restaurant. Construction to the original brick building was done over the years in the 1980s and 1990s. The buildings on either side of 244 have been demolished. Metal siding has been added to the building but the original brick can be seen on the south side of the building.
In 2014, work was begun to create the Capitol Music Club with furniture, stage lumber, and kitchen equipment from Lydia’s Pub in the Farnam Block on Broadway. The new owners want to keep the history of a music venue going in a new location.
Food or Beverage Services On Duty Staff/Custodian/Security Near Bus Route First Aid No Disabled Access
This is the first building built under the architectural controls developed by the city for the new neighbourhood that takes in the old warehouse district of north downtown. The architects were CS & P Architects of Toronto, which specializes in police buildings, and AODBT of Saskatoon. It was built in the Chicago Style to fit in with the existing warehouses and is meant to serve as Saskatoon’s police headquarters well into the future.
Disabled Access On Duty Staff/Custodian/Security Public Washrooms Free Parking Near Bus Route #7 First Aid
The Drinkle Building was designed by Thompson & Crockart and was constructed in 1913 for J.C. Drinkle. Drinkle moved to Saskatoon at 25 years of age in 1903, with less than $500 to his name. At this time Saskatoon was a dirt street town with a population of less than 500 people. Only ten years later Saskatoon was booming with a population of 28,000 and J.C. Drinkle had become a multi-millionaire.
The Drinkle Building, which has been known as Regent Plaza since 1976, was originally planned to be a ten-storey office tower with a grand cornice, marble corridors and a rooftop garden. As the money supply tightened in 1913, construction of the Drinkle Building was stopped halfway resulting in the five-storey building that stands on 3rd Avenue today. In 1917, J.C. Drinkle was bankrupted and the building remained empty for the first six years following its completion.
The building was never used for offices and was instead converted for residential use in 1919. Over the years the Drinkle Building has been home to many Saskatoon families and businesses.
A 72 foot tall mural, “Founders,” has been added to the outside wall of the building depicting the portraits of seven of Saskatoon’s founders. A sundeck on the roof of the building provides panoramic views of the city.
Public Washrooms Street Parking (Meters) Disabled Access