Sunday June 4, 2017
Noon to 5 pm
Photo credit: Daryl Mitchell
The Marr Residence was originally home to Alexander Marr, a local stonemason who designed and constructed the Little Stone School House, and his family. It is the oldest building on its original site in Saskatoon. The home was used a field hospital for soldiers wounded during the Riel Rebellion in 1885. During this time the Red Cross flag was flown at the Marr Residence for the first time in Canada.
Purchased by the City of Saskatoon in 1979, and refurbished primarily by the Meewasin Valley Authority, it has been designated as a Municipal Heritage Site. The building has a mansard roof with dormers, a style that was popular in Canada in the 1870's and 1880's. The lumber to build the house came from Lake of the Woods and it has retained its original floors. Adjacent to the house is the lovely Marr Garden Park.
Disabled Access Public Washrooms Guided Tours Street Parking
* Staff in period costume will provide tours of the Marr Residence.
In 1919, H.L. Martin, owner of the H.L. Martin Lumber company, built this simply designed two story building with its “False Front”, clapboard siding and pilasters painted in contrasting colour. The second owner C. H. Wentz who bought the building in 1928 was responsible for the striking billboard ridge sign on the roof of the building which originally advertised Wentz lumber business. Wentz continue to use the building in the lumber trade until the 1950s when it was occupied by a variety of businesses. In 1990 the building was bought by Lyle Lamb who began preserving and restoring the exterior while adapting the interior for other uses. In 1992 with the help of a grant from the Heritage Incentive Program, he restored the billboard ridge sign earning a City of Saskatoon Heritage award.
Since the 1960s the building has been occupied by a variety of businesses in cluding Emily’s Jazz Restaurant, Vintage Arts Sales Gallery, the Bike Doctor, Cantrill Muscle Therapy, Neon Studio among others. Currently Brainsport occupies what was an unheated storage area for lumber, Duck Duck Goose is in what was the office area, and Cantrill Muscle Therapy occupies the nails and hardware storage area.
Public Washrooms Free Parking Disabled Access
Photo credit: Daryl Mitchell
Nutana Collegiate, formerly Saskatoon Collegiate, opened in 1910. Story and Van Egmond built the school in the Classic French Renaissance style. The building provided the first public meeting place in Saskatoon and also housed the first U of S classes.
Nutana Collegiate still operates as a school and is home to the Memorial Art Gallery, a collection of Canadian paintings to honour men who gave their lives in World War I and II, including works by Allan Sapp, Mulcaster, E.Lindner and F.Loveroff. In 2007, Nutana was designated a Canadian Academy of Travel & Tourism School, the first in Saskatchewan.
Notable graduates of Nutana Collegiate include former Prime Minister of Canada, John Diefenbaker and Ray Hnatyshyn, former Governor General of Canada, among others.
Note: Only the Library and the front hallways will be open.
Public Washrooms Free Parking Near Bus Route
Built in 2015, this new building designed by Kindrachuk Agrey Architecture is a mixed use building with retail and professional office space. The main element of the The Kindrachuk Agrey office design solution is a parametric perforated steel ribbon that acts as a focal point and connects the two levels of the workplace. The ribbon is an acoustic absorber and screens the main mechanical distribution while morphing into a magnetic and writable surface for the meeting areas where it meets the ground. The workplace was designed focussing on the themes of Context, Collaboration, and Sustainability. The office is seeking LEED platinum certification and strives to set the standard for healthy and empowering workplace design in the province.
Disabled Access Public Washrooms Free Parking Near Bus Route, 1, 6, 15, 8