Sunday June 2, 2019
Photo credit: Nic Lehoux
The Remai Modern was built in 2017 by KPMB Architects (Design) to display and celebrate art, community and place. The exterior style mesh screens help manage solar radiation while still providing transparency to the landscape and its color is a nod to the copper roof of the Bessborough. The steel stair balustrades are the structural elements supporting the stairs. The galleries are Class ”A” exhibit spaces allowing world-class exhibitions to be brought to the city. Our famous tenants are the over 8000 objects of art in our permanent collections including the largest collection of Picasso linocuts in the world. The building has won numerous awards including: Canadian Architect Award of Excellence, Civic Trust Award, Ontario Association of Architects Award of Excellence, and the Prairie Design Award of Excellence.
Tours are run on the hour starting at 12 noon with the last tour at 4 PM. Limit of 25 persons per tour. You MUST book your tour prior to arriving.
Disabled Access First Aid Station Food/Beverage Service Free Parking Guided Tours On or Near Bus Route On Duty Staff Public Washrooms Street Parking
Guests are asked to remain with the guided groups at all times.
Construction of Saskatoon's newest downtown hotel was completed this year. The Alt Hotel designed by Lemay Michaud Architecture Design cost about $35 million and offers 156 rooms spread out over 14 floors. There is a gym and about 4,500 sq. feet of meeting space. It is the 18th property that Group Germain Hotels in Canada. The hotel and adjacent condos were built to appear as one structure but they are two separate unattached buildings.
Disabled Access First Aid Station Food/Beverage Service On Duty Staff On or Near Bus Route Paid Parking Public Washrooms
The Pumphouse is the only surviving remnant of the original Saskatoon Power Plant, later renamed A.L. Cole Power Plant. It provided electricity to the City of Saskatoon from 1911, when it was built, through its expansion and transfer to the Saskatchewan Power Corporation in 1929, and further expansion in the 1950s. After the Queen Elizabeth Power Station was built, A. L. Cole provided back-up electricity for the city until 1983, when it was completely decommissioned.
The Pumphouse supplied water from the river to cool the power plant generators. As the only remaining historic building in River Landing and the only remnant of the A. L. Cole Power Plant’s industrial legacy, the Pumphouse has important historical significance for Saskatoon. The City of Saskatoon is aiming to offer the Pumphouse for lease for commercial purposes in the next few years, possibly for a bistro type of activity.
Free Parking No Disabled Access