Sunday June 4, 2017
Noon to 5 pm
Built in 1985, the original purpose of the building was to house the city's fleet of buses. Affectionately known as the Bus Barns, the structure remains the city's main storage facility for Saskatoon Transit vehicles, including the newest in environmentally-friendly technology: the new bio-diesel and hybrid buses. There will be a Saskatoon Transit employee on site to answer any questions.
Near Bus Route #5 Disabled Access
Fire Station #1, designed by George Kerr in a modern style, is the administrative centre for Saskatoon Fire & Protection Services and provides emergency services for Saskatoon's downtown core, including river rescue. It houses 20 firefighters (four battalions) to man the three pumper units and one aerial unit. This is actually the second Fire Station #1. The first was built in 1908 on 23rd Street but was demolished in 1965 for the construction of the Saskatoon Main Public Library.
* Please remember, the Fire Station is operational at all times, calls are a priority.
Disabled Access Public Washrooms Street Parking
Construction of Christ Church Anglican was begun in 1907 when the basement was built. Finances delayed finishing the church until 1950 when the sanctuary was completed. During the intervening years, services were held in the basement. The interior foundation was constructed of river rock brought from the South Saskatchewan River by parishioners. The exterior of the building is of finished stone. The stained glass windows of the sanctuary are famous.
Christ Church is known as the Garrison Church because of its association with the soldiers of the North Saskatchewan Regiment and the regiment predecessor units. Regimental colours have been displayed in the church. There is a memorial to Hugh Cairns in the church. Artifacts from France and England were brought back to the church after World War I.
Disabled Access Public Washrooms Free Parking Near Bus Route
Westmount School was designed by David Webster as one of his castle schools and constructed of brick in 1913 in the gothic style. The original hardwood floors are still throughout the building. The third floor auditorium was used as the original school gym and as drama space.
Several famous students attended Westmount School including Roy Romanow, Premier of Saskatchewan, Gordie Howe in the 1950s, Chief Justice Ernie Boychuk, and Jean Ewan, a nurse and author of Canadian Nurse in China.
In 1980, the school was designated a community school and is now known as Westmount Community School. In 2013, the school commissioned a centennial mural with support from the Saskatoon Public School Foundation. Local artist, Jeff Bluesky Crowe, who graduated from grade 8 from Westmount School and whose children attend the school, completed a 25-foot mural that hangs in the gym entitled My Grandmother’s Teachings.
Public Washrooms Free Parking Near Bus Route No Disabled Access
The Pumphouse is the only surviving remnant of the original Saskatoon Power Plant, later renamed A.L. Cole Power Plant. It provided electricity to the City of Saskatoon from 1911, when it was built, through its expansion and transfer to the Saskatchewan Power Corporation in 1929, and further expansion in the 1950s. After the Queen Elizabeth Power Station was built, A. L. Cole provided back-up electricity for the city until 1983, when it was completely decommissioned.
The Pumphouse supplied water from the river to cool the power plant generators. As the only remaining historic building in River Landing and the only remnant of the A. L. Cole Power Plant’s industrial legacy, the Pumphouse has important historical significance for Saskatoon. The City of Saskatoon is aiming to offer the Pumphouse for lease for commercial purposes in the next few years, possibly for a bistro type of activity.
Free Parking No Disabled Access
Studio 914 is a new building that is the first professional entertainment venue in Riversdale. It was built as a commercial building in 2011, in a modern style that nevertheless blends with the neighbourhood. It had various different business tenants before it was bought by La Troupe du Jour and converted into a production centre. The new owners gutted and expanded it; most of it is new.
Some features: three skylights and four sun tubes to let in natural light; front of lobby shaped to resemble an old accordion camera; solar panels on the roof for the building’s hot water; in-floor radiant heat.
Disabled Access Public Washrooms Free Parking On Duty Staff/Custodian/Security First Aid Near Bus Route #10 & #2
This two-storey brick building in the heart of Riversdale was built in 1915 as a restaurant with a rooming house upstairs that had 40 rooms and two bathrooms. The original brick walls remain, and metal panels on the exterior are from the original restaurant. Currently, the building is privately owned, with occupied tenant suites on the second floor and a new coffee shop opening on the main level.
The building was formerly notorious for crime. The city police and fire department would bring recruits there for orientation and training in dealing with issues. In 2008-2009, a gang took the building over and ran the landlord out. The building was then closed and boarded up until it was sold and renovated.
Food or Beverage Service Public Washrooms Near Bus Route No Disabled Access
Village Guitar and Amp at 432 20th Street West occupies a building that in 1945, the earliest listing in the street directory, was by occupied Acme Hardware. This company and the Saskatoon Glass Co at 430 20th Street West were part of Max Reznick’s business enterprises. Max Reznick who lived in Saskatoon from 1932 till 1984, was a successful businessman who was known as the Mayor of 20th Street. It was a retail business, with a steel beam structure and a brick frontage. Exposed brick can be seen in the interior. After 1974 it was occupied by Donald’s Book Exchange and Golden Hawk Pawn Shop.
Old is new as a hardware store has now been transformed into a boutique and vintage guitar shop where numerous concerts are held. Visitors can view the store but the workshop and stage are closed.
Disabled Access Food or Beverage Service Paid Parking Public Washrooms Near Bus Route #10 & #2 First Aid
The 400 block of 20th Street West was developed beginning in the 1920s. The lot now identified as number 430, where the Underground Cafe stands, was originally developed as a residence, in 1925. By the 1930s, #430 had become the home of the Saskatoon Glass Company. Apparently, this was a two-storey building with residential space on the second floor. The business lasted till 1980. In 1981, the city records show a different business. This was Rezbil Construction, owned by Max Reznick, a well known Saskatoon businessman, who had several businesses in the area and was "often referred to as the Mayor of 20th Street", according to his obituary in the Star-Phoenix in 1984. By the 1990s, the street had fallen on tough times, and #430 endured several years of vacancy. The building now on the property, home of the Underground Cafe, is a relatively new one, set back a good distance from the street, with an attractive courtyard in front.
Disabled Access Public Washrooms Near Bus Route